University workshop

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Jan 7 09:34 MST 2002

In a message dated 1/5/02 7:23:13 PM Central Standard Time, lorbunt@ukans.edu

> 3' by 4' =180  sq. ft.
>
> shelving for action & piano parts
> 8' by 7' =56 sq. ft.
>
> office area
> 150 sq. ft.
>
> piano repair space
> 9' foot piano needs 468 sq. ft.
> 13' by 9' times 4
> two plate spaces for (turning over plate)
> one space for piano
> one piano space for equipment used
>
> total sq. ft. 1192
>
> This does not include space needed for equipment such as sawhorses,
> hydraulic piano lift, dollies, piano storage, etc.
>
> Criticism is definitely welcome.  Play ADMINISTRATOR!!  I usually have two
> student helpers.  Is there anything I need to add?
>
> Loren Buntemeyer RPT
> University of Kansas

Loren

Even if you think you want 1200 feet, can you get it? Instead of looking to
see what you need, find out what's available, and modify your needs. I was
given a 625 feet teaching studio. It has a big window, on the ground floor,
near an outside door. As I mentioned, I haven't rebuilt any pianos in here
yet, but there is enough room to do that. Maybe not a 9', but then we only
have 3 of them, and at this point, there is no need to rebuild them.

One of the things you learn to do in a smaller space is condense, and do more
with less. You want 6 8x5 work benches. I have a 5x3 foot bench, and a 12x3
foot bench, and I seem to be doing OK. I also have a 2x4' portable cart,
(made by Rubbermaid), on which I carry my grand actions, which I also use as
a work bench. The drill press, the portable table saw, the grinder, the disc
and band sanders, the portable air compressor, are all stored underneath the
work bench. There is also a storage cabinet under the work bench.

In other words, yes, if I was given more space I could probably utilize it.
But I only have 625 square feet, so I do the best with what I have. If there
is a need to for more space to rebuild that 9' piano, I would tell the
department chair I cannot do the work in my space. Then we'll go from there.
(perhaps rent outside space, or sub contract the work out.)

I hope this helps.

Wim
U. of Alabama