tuning and teaching

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat Apr 27 07:24 MDT 2002

kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

> As an organization, the PTG should, in my opinion, promote piano technology
> as an endeavor that is practiced by full-time highly-skilled professionals.
>
> The fact that so many of us are part time is a indication of the low regard
> there is for our line of work. What is the biggest complaint from the
> part-time techs? I'll bet it is that there is more work to be done than can
> possibly be accomplished in the hours available.
>
> That's all I was trying to get at.
>
> Kent

Kent

Thank you for your answer. The concept that a piano tuner has to work full
time to be considered a "highly-skilled professionals", however, doesn't give
credit to those technicians who choose not to be full time, but have decided,
for their own benefit, or whatever other reason, to work part time as a piano
tuner/technician, and part time at another profession.  That's a choice an
individual makes.

Before accepting the position here at UA, I had always dreamed of someday
working for a university as a piano tech and as a teacher. I like doing both.
I am working full time as a piano tech, and am allowed, by university policy,
to only teach two classes per semester. How I spend my time is my decision.
If I choose to work 37.5 hours a week as a piano tech, do 3 or 4 outside
tuning on top of that, and spend 8 hours a week as a teacher, does that make
me less of a professional at either job?

Wim