tuning and teaching

Robert Edwardsen eedward2@rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 26 08:18 MDT 2002

We taught a 90 minute class along these lines at the National MTNA =
Conference last month.  It was well attended and everyone was very =
interested.  Hopefully we can do it again next year.  This concept of a =
one shot seminar might be more effective than a weekly class at school =
too.

Rob Edwardsen
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 1:39 PM
  Subject: tuning and teaching

  At the meeting in Rochester, I asked about a subject that is of =
interest to me. I suggested that for schools where there are not enough =
piano for a full time technician, or where there are too many piano for =
one, but not enough for two, etc.) that the tuner's position include =
teaching a couple of courses. What ever the combination would be to make =
the position full time. Kent was there, and he didn't like the idea. He =
gave an answer that didn't make much sense to me, and since we were =
really talking about the workload, I didn't want  to pursue the topic =
much further.=20

  If Kent is listening, I would like to ask if he could explain his =
reasoning for not liking the idea of splitting the position between =
teaching and tuning. I would also like to ask others on this list for =
your opinion.=20

  In addition to my position as tuner/technician, I also teach two =
classes per semester. One course I teach is called music management, =
which deals with the management of music, copyrights, licenses, running =
a business from a music perspective. The other class is careers in =
music, where we explore all the different jobs in the music field. And I =
teach a class on how to raise money for non profit organizations. As you =
can see, although they are related to music, I am not teaching them =
because I am a piano tuner. I asked if I could do this, for two reasons, =
I wanted to get back in the classroom, and I needed the extra money. In =
a sense I am working two jobs. (I actually get two different paychecks.) =

  I have approached the chair about teaching a class on piano =
maintenance, not so much on how to tune and repair, but more on the line =
of what a piano is all about. I want to call it "care and feeding of a =
piano." I do not want to get into teaching tuning and repair. He is =
intereted in the class, but because of budget constraint, no new classes =
are being processed right now.=20

  What are some of your thoughts on this? Any of you doing a little of =
both?=20

  Wim=20
  U of Alabama=20