new formula, part two

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sat Apr 20 11:24 MDT 2002

Wim,
	I can see the potential use for an "intermediate" or "alternative" way
of assessing work needs. I think such a thing would be especially useful
for contract situations, particularly small schools. But I agree with
Jeff Tanner that something along the lines of what Richard West posted a
while back (I think it was sort of aimed at fraternities and the like in
his case) would be a better starting point. It had a sense of scheduled
regular maintenance - how often to tighten screws, to regulate, to file
hammers, etc, along with regular tuning - with approximate time for
each. It's the sort of thing you could adapt to any number of
circumstances, including other institutions like churches.
	Certainly if full time or part time university techs wanted to use it
instead of the current formula, that would be fine, too. But for a lot
of us, I really don't think it _would_ be all that useful, simply
because of the way reconditioning/rebuilding procedures are integrated
into the workload, and the number of "touch-up" operations (walk through
and grab the offending unisons, 5 minutes per piano, type of thing). Not
to mention administrative details, paperwork, communications, etc.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico