new formula, part two

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Apr 18 18:23 MDT 2002

I got to thinking some more about my formula, and realized I missed a few
things. For instance, some of the pianos need to be rebuild, fully or
partially. The other thing we are not taking into consideration is that the
conditions, location of pianos, and even the number of pianos in a school,
change from year to year, and in some cases, even within a school year.

But the basic concept is still there. An administrator needs to be able to do
the math without knowing about age, overall quality, etc. The other thing an
administrator doesn't know anything about is climatic conditions. A bad
environment, however, is reflected in the number of times the piano needs to
be tuned.

So I changed the formula a little. I still have the number of times a piano
gets tuned, per year. But I changed the "setting" figures as follows:

Settings
50 = piano needs to be completely rebuilt
25 = piano needs action overhaul
10 = piano needs complete regulation
2.5 = Piano needs to be kept at top performance level, tuned, voiced,
regulated at every tuning.
1.5 = piano needs to be kept at acceptable music level, tuned and voiced on a
regular basis
1 = piano needs to be kept in adequate musical level, tuning allowed to
deteriorate before tuning, regulation
.5 = piano may be neglected to the being tuned when necessary and fixing only
what is needed.

What I added was the rebuilding part. Even if a piano gets tuned 10 times a
year, it might also needs to be rebuilt, or the action overhauled. If he last
four numbers and language look familiar, is because I took that off the
formula.

I also changed how I came up with a final number.

Three columns.
Piano: Number of times it is tuned per year: Setting.

Add all the number of tuning numbers together. Add the Setting numbers
together. Multiply those two numbers together. Divide that number by the
number of pianos. Divide that number by the number of weeks you work. This
number is the number of hours worked in a week.

My numbers are:
Number of tunings in a year: 1103.
Total "setting" number: 122.5
Total: 135117.5
Divided by 75 (number of pianos and harpsichords) = 2814.9479
Divided by 48 (weeks per year I work) = 37.532639

This is the number of hours I have to wrk this year. Next year, when I have
rebuilt two pianos, and overhauled 3 actions, the numbers will change. But by
that time, I will probably need to completely regulate a couple of more
actions, and maybe replace the hammers on a couple more. So, as I said, the
formula numbers will change from one year to the next.

Again, feed back and comments are welcome

Wim