changing hammer line

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 18 14:47 MDT 2002

I thought I would report on the results of this project...

There was some question as to why the piano (a 15 yr old Bechstein concert
grand) was dead and possessed so much capo noise, etc. I got lots of help
from Lloyd Meyer at Renner, established that I had the right hammer for this
piano (width, weight, etc), I had to move the strike point by as much as
1/8" inch in the upper tenor and lower treble.  I followed traditional
Renner voicing techniques and had great success.  The piano came alive. The
piano was previously dead and what was there was noisy.  It now has more
volume than needed and a beautiful tone.  Just wanted to thank Renner and
relay the good experience.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Lance
Lafargue
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 3:12 PM
To: Caut (E-mail)
Subject: changing hammer line

List,
I am replacing hammers, shanks and flanges, on a concert grand soon and the
hammer line in the treble section may have been tampered with.  So, before
hanging, I need to find or confirm optimum strike location (particularly in
the lower treble section). What is the _best_ way to go about this?  How
does everyone secure the hammers temporarily (strips of paper? tack glue?),
listen, move around, etc before permanently gluing end hammers?  Thanks,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG