Concert Load

Wed Apr 17 13:44 MDT 2002

Avery Todd wrote:

> Richard,
>
> >These instruments see about 10 hours a week hard use.
>
> Aren't you the lucky one! :-) In our primary student recital hall,
> there are 10 hrs. a week of just piano teacher's studio classes!
> Plus rehearsals and performances.

Yes.. even so its amazing how fast these wear down. I have to dress up the
hammers twice a year. They are are only two concert instruments, one is 15 years
old and the other is 10. New hammers are due again on the oldest one and on the
new one soon after. We dont let anyone use these two instruments for practice of
any kind. Pianists get 1 hour ahead of any concert to work with the piano... but
thats it.

> >Sometimes things get hectic.... around exams time, and during auditions for
> >new students, and just before X-mas. Of course start up is allways a buzz.
>
> I understand, believe me.

With 135 pianos I can understand that. You have a 2,5 man job on your hands.

> >But this job is the best thing for me at this point in my career, very
> >challanging,  very stable, and just around the corner.... so I love it !
>
> Agree here, too. Especially as close as I am to retirement. :-)

Funny how that works eh ?? I got 15 years on me before usual retirement age...
but I find this kind of job is much more to my liking as time passes. A few
years back I loved the travel... even got my feet wet in a bit of globe trotting
for festival work.... but not any more.... just not my bag now.