high humidity (was tapping strings)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Apr 15 15:26 MDT 2002

Richard Brekne wrote:

> Course there is one easy observation that creates a bit of a problem for that
> view.... Why then does the section of strings just below the treble break, and
> that just above behave in such a disjunct fashion then... ? You need to explain
> this. Then too...

Richard,
	Yep, that's another very interesting phenomenon. My own best take is
that it is caused by the usual curve in the bridge at that point, and by
the bridge canting to one side or other. Have you noticed that the
effect can be either way? Sometimes the largest pitch change just below
the treble break, sometimes just above, depending on model of piano
(each model seems to be pretty consistent, though)? Bizarre! Hamiltons
are the opposite of Yamaha U-1's, for instance.

<snip>

> Interesting that you use the term "waste lengths"...  just what specifically do
> you mean by this and why are these <<wastefull>> (Semantics ??)

I just mean the part of the string not in the speaking length. Not a
particularly good terminology, just what jumped into my mind at that
moment. What I was really referring to is the differing distances
between bridge and hitch pin, which I theorize leads to different
constraining pressures on the bridge/board system, leading to varying
degrees of twist.

	What puzzles me the most is the pitch variation within individual
unisons between left and right strings, and especially the fact that
they are often greatest in the highest octave or two. I don't claim to
have many answers, just an observant and inquiring mind.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico