Wapin comparisons

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon Apr 8 21:40 MDT 2002

a "control" piano that is fine too.
 ---ric

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Coates <tcoates@dtgnet.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: tapping pins (wapin)

| David Skolnik wrote:
|
| > At 04:23 PM 04/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
| > >Hello,
| > >     The few Wapinized pianos I have played excelled in both
power,
| > > sustain, and especially clarity.
| > >-Mike Jorgensen
| >
| > But the unrepentant objectivist asks, "Where is the control in the
| > experiment? What would these same pianos, rebuilt by the same
rebuilder,
| > have sounded like with conventional bridge pinning?
|
| There have been pianos totally rebuilt conventionally and then Wapin
added after.  SSD 29 at University of Cincinnati was rebuilt be Don
Gibbs
| with a new soundboard, action, etc. and still wasn't right.  Wapin
was added and the piano changed dramatically.  It was this situation
that
| turned skeptics of Wapin working closely with Michael Wathen into
believers.

| Last April in St. Louis at the Central West Regional Seminar I
installed Wapin on the Killer Octave on a Baldwin SF10 that had been
totally
| rebuilt by Wim Blees and voiced by Wally Brooks.  There were about
10 people in the class and all agreed I had turned the weakest section
of the
| piano into the strongest section in a matter of 4 hours.  I did no
voicing, not even mating of the strings to the hammers.

| Perhaps the national convention should let us do our install seminar
so others can experience this.

| I will be doing the same install at Rochester, MN this coming
Saturday.  David, you should come <g>.

| As technicians installing Wapin, we aren't experimenting.  We are
doing it because it works, pure and simple.  There will always be
objectivists