tapping strings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Mon Apr 8 05:02 MDT 2002

At 09:51 AM 04/08/2002 +0200, you RicB wrote:
>David Skolnik wrote:
>>I don't understand this last statement.  Also, it's not clear to me if
>>you are describing measuring  the bearing of a strung piano, or one which
>>you are, or have destrung.  I was particularly curious about how you went
>>about measuring the downbearing of a functional, or, using Ron N's
>>parameters, a non-functional piano.
>Havent followed what Ron N means by a non-functional piano in this
>regard... but I suspect it is the same as meaning a destrung piano.

Ron will likely clarify this himself, however, I took this to imply a value
judgement (negative) being bestowed upon a piano which does not conform to
some minimal standards of construction theory.

>  Downbearing as I view it has to be measured that way.  You already know
> the tensions involved... you need to know the angles you are subjecting
> the wires under these tensions to. If you measure an instrument that is
> already strung and up to tension...then you need to know how much the
> panel has been pressed down as well to really know what the actual
> downbearing is.  Knowing both is valuable anyways I might add.

Just so that I'm clear, are you saying that it is not possible to take
measurements with a gauge (and string under the 'panel') and make some
conclusion about the downbearing present in the piano?

Thanks for the suggestion re: Gravagne's articles.  I just got the paper
copies of the Journal reprints that the Guild is unloading.  Good for ready
while traveling about.

Regards -
David skolnik