tapping pins

Mon Apr 8 01:42 MDT 2002

Hi there Tim.

Thanks for the reply and the interesting contrast you provide for
perspectives on the idea of string coupling. And very refreshing to hear
your comments on Bob, Mike, and yourself in relationship to how much
science each of us should feel we are capable of invoking in our
discussions.

My point with bringing up the issue of string to bridge coupling and
Wapin was simply to point out that Wapin had brought (successfully me
thinks) into question the need for the type of coupling the traditional
bridge pin configuration provides. Wapin as I understand it provides
significant increase in sustain with some minor loss of what we normaly
associate with power. The power if you will is "spread out" or perhaps
its better to say that some of it is used to increase the sustain.  This
is my understanding of the effect anyways... and it fits well with the
two instruments I have heard.

What a preconvexed bridge would do would be perhaps another matter
entirely. Point being is that the idea that a bridge needs to be
slightly angled backwards, and have the strong coupling provided by the
traditional  method of installing bridge pins is not neccessarilly the
"best" solution after all. It simply provides one kind of sound, and
there are perhaps other pleasing sound types available to be explored.

Put this into the perspective of the pre-convexed bridge (which perhaps
would have the advantage of being better able to resist string
indentations over time) one is left with an apparently unexplored
possibility that has up to now simply been written off because it has
been assumed we need the maximum possible amount of coupling at the
notch.

Thanks again Tim. I dont feel like I am much of an expert on these
things either... but I like to think things through and make sense as
best I can out these kinds of things.

Cheers !

RicB

--