tapping strings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Sun Apr 7 19:13 MDT 2002

Richard B -

Yes, that's what I wanted to know.  You apparently do not use gauges,
whether bubble or rocker or other. A little clarification would be helpful,
as follows:

At 07:04 PM 04/07/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi David
>
>I kind of hedge myself with downbearing measurements. I do two things. First
>I measure the height of the bridge in various spots both before and after
>tension is let down.

How do you measure bridge height? When you say "before and after tension is
let down", do you mean on a particular note?

>Secondly I take string deflection measurements with
>tension off the panel.

Does 'panel' mean soundboard?

>The way I do the second is perhaps what you are asking for.
>I run a taught cloth string from the tuning pin under the front termination
>and across the bridge and position the back height such that it just touches
>the bridge but is not deflected by it. Then I measure the distance to the
>string rest. Then I bring the string just down to where it touches the back
>edge of the bridge and measure again the distance to the string rest. Both
>measurements are taken on the normal (90 degrees) from the string rest. This
>gives enough to calculate  both the front bearing angle and rear angle.

I don't understand this last statement.  Also, it's not clear to me if you
are describing measuring  the bearing of a strung piano, or one which you
are, or have destrung.  I was particularly curious about how you went about
measuring the downbearing of a functional, or, using Ron N's parameters, a
non-functional piano.

Hope you're not getting board with this.

David Skolnik