tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat Apr 6 21:07 MST 2002

>Well now, I guess I have to ask a follow up question.  What do you do when
>you find this condition in a piano under warrantee, or in one which you are
>inspecting for a client for possible purchase, keeping in mind that the
>particular method used for measuring bearing can sometimes mask the
>presence of zero or negative front  (or even net) bearing?
>
>David Skolnik

Man, you ask hard questions. If I pursued every case of negative crowned
soundboards and negative bearing I found in pianos still under warrantee, I
would starve to death doing just that. If the customer has no complaints, I
can't afford to bring it up and take it on. There are just too bloody many
of them. If the owner is happy, there isn't a problem, even if there's a
problem. If they ask, I'll tell. I won't lie to them, but I can't take on
wars I can't afford either. I know it's a lousy state of affairs, but I
have to eat just like everyone else, and ignorance is vastly more abundant
than are remedies. I try to do what I can, when I can, without adding to
the problems. Assessing a piano for a prospective buyer is another thing
altogether. Since the reason for my being there is to inform (educate -
dispel ignorance) the client as to the condition of the piano, I can report
anything and everything I find - and do.

Ron N