tapping strings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Sat Apr 6 20:19 MST 2002

At 08:43 AM 04/06/2002 -0600, you, Ron N,  wrote:
> >Ron -
> >I'm not sure what you mean my not a working piano. I see this condition
> >with even more extreme numbers all the time, including on new pianos. Mind
> >you, I DO think it's a problem.
> >
> >David Skolnik
>
>David,
>I see the problem of negative front bearing all the time too. I hear it as
>well. Entirely too many of the pianos I tune on a regular basis, including
>those in colleges, are like this. These pianos may be in service and being
>used, but I wouldn't consider them to be functional pianos. I think it's a
>problem too, and a big one, that seating the strings doesn't change.
>Ron N

Well now, I guess I have to ask a follow up question.  What do you do when
you find this condition in a piano under warrantee, or in one which you are
inspecting for a client for possible purchase, keeping in mind that the
particular method used for measuring bearing can sometimes mask the
presence of zero or negative front  (or even net) bearing?

David Skolnik