tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat Apr 6 09:23 MST 2002

>This has been a very interesting thread.  It emphasizes the need for good
>humidity
>control in order to minimize the damage done by over-compressing the
soundboard
>bridges as the humidity rises.

It sure does.

 >Secondly when a piano is restrung common practice nowadays to to get rid
of the
>indentations, and refresh the notching.  I've often wondered what this is
>doing to
>downbearing.

Why wonder? Break out the Trig and figure it out. The difference will be
most dramatic in the shortest strings. What is the angle change of a 50mm
string when one end is lowered by 0.015" (0.38mm)?

>Thirdly, how does the alleged "bridge roll" affect the bridge.  Does it
>exacerbate
>bridge damage or does it somehow reduce it by allowing the bridge to "roll
with
>the punches" so to speak?
>
>Richard West

Bridge roll is soundboard failure. If someone decides it is somehow
beneficial to the bridge, I hope it isn't advertised as a feature.

Ron N