Wire stretching

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat Apr 6 07:30 MST 2002

In a message dated 4/6/02 8:07:40 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:

> I do put 15 cents sharpness in the
> plain wire and keep it that high as I relieve all the bends.  Then dropping
> it to pitch, if needed, leaves me with a string that will need pulling up
> in
> a week and that is about it.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

I pull the string a half step high, then tune the piano, and just before I
leave, drop the pitch to about 5 cents high. I go back a few days later, and
the string is usually in tune.

With private customers I tell them that note will sound a little funny for a
while, then wit will sound good, I then say, when it becomes bad again, and
you can't stand it, call me and I'll retune it. It's amazing how few calls I
get. And when I go back a year later, that string is way out, but the
customer didn't hear it. It's usually some other note they are concerned
about.

Wim