Wire stretching

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri Apr 5 15:28 MST 2002

And now, something completely different...
				---Monty Python

On the Mechanical Music Digest there are few people who insist that piano
wire does not stretch
and this is not the reason for multiple tunings required for a newly strung
piano.  But once the
wire has been coaxed to definite terminations, why else would it go flat
over the ensuing days.

They refer to: 'Hooke's Law'  and 'Young's modulus for piano wire'.

One guy even flames the PTG as to not knowing as much as he does with
"their accepted belief
that piano wire stretches".

I didn't respond beyond my initial statement of wire stretching, wire
easing through the friction
at bearing points, plate compression and case deformation because of the
intensity of a zealous tirade
but would like to hear opinions on the matter.

%

jon Page