tapping strings

Fri Apr 5 13:23 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Ok.. I feel a lot more comfortable with all this now. So when do we start
> >dealing with why the condition of << positive bearing at the bridge pin
> simultaneous
> >with the string being off the cap at this point >> sometimes pops up ?
>
> I've been dealing with it from day one. It doesn't happen, that I'm aware
> of. Strings with positive downbearing do not ride up on bridge pins and
> float above caps. What do you think I've been talking about all this time?

Dont know what to say Ron... I've seen positive bearing simultaneous with the
string being off the bridge cap at the bridge pin. I have measured even the case
where the high point of the string / bridge contact has been back from the pin and
found the lowest point of the indentation to not be below the line drawn between
that high point and the aggraffe...yet still the string is just off the notch.

Your model does not account for these conditions... and just saying they dont exist
doesnt alter the fact that they do.

> >Many thanks for clearing this up for me... you've had me really scratching my
> >head on this one for quite some time.
> >
> >Cheers !
> >
> >RicB
>
> I wonder if you still aren't.

I probably will always ponder on such questions Ron. Just when you think you have
the answer....whammo... you find something unaccounted for just around the
corner... at least thats my experience.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.