tapping strings

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Fri Apr 5 06:57 MST 2002

At 03:02 PM 4/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>P.S. Just so I'm clear Ron, your take is that the expansion of the bridge
>causes the string to ride up the pin and then stays there when the bridge
>shrinks back down? My question is why doesn't the pin ride up and down
>with the
>bridge? Is it the fact that it is anchored deeper in the wood and the
>expansion
>happens to a larger degree on the woods' surface?

Considering that the bridge raises the string up the pin and compresses the
surface
(compression set) in doing so. The area at the edge of the surface
(pin/notch) becomes
more compressed than the middle. The center of the surface maintains string
plane
while the edge of the surface recedes below during the dry spell.

That's the route my train of thought is following.

Jon Page