I ask again, was Re: tapping strings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Apr 4 10:06 MST 2002

rontorrella@yahoo.com writes:

> We're talking about tapping strings and crushing the front edge of the
> bridge -- isn't this happening, to some degree anyhow, when the piano's
> played? I think it's akin to trying to keep a piano in tune or a child
> seated for extended periods of time. It's just a fact of life that it ain't
> gonna happen. And neither will strings remain seated on the bridge. They get
> too excited and need to be re-settled.

It is so interesting that a simple question has resulted in such a diverse
answer. On the one extreme is the notion that tapping is not only not needed,
but actually bad, and the other notion, which states that it is needed and
should be done. While I would welcome the thought that it is not needed, I
still have not read the answer to my basic question: how often should strings
be tapped, or seated, on the bridge?

Wim