odd harmonic

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 06:48 MST 2002

I would assume that you've checked to see that the damper moves up and down
completely freely, eliminating the possibility of a tight center in the
underlever, and/or checked for some obstruction on the underlever tray
and/or key-end felt. You might also check to see if damper finger on the
side opposite the bleed hasn't swelled for some reason, making it fatter
than its twin. Try squeezing the fatter finger to see if you can get the
damper to seat evenly. You'll probably have to trim both fingers a bit (I
prefer them to hang no more than about a string's thickness below the
strings).

As a last-ditch effort, you could try squeezing the offending wire toward
the center (I've successfully managed to brace one leg of my round nose
pliers against an agraffe, protected by a piece of leather, and press the
wire with the other leg - raise the dampers before you do this!). If all
else fails, replace the damper.

Ron Torrella