odd harmonic

Lawrence Becker lawrence.becker@uc.edu
Thu Apr 4 05:29 MST 2002

At 11:01 PM 4/3/02, you wrote:
>Hi all: Twice this month I have come across pianos which hum a harmonic 2
>octaves and a seventh above the fundamental when the key is released. In
>both cases it was only one of the three strings which leaked the harmonic,
>in both cases an outer string. I checked and re checked the string level.
>Any ideas? one was F# 2 on a S&S B, the other was D3 on a S&S D. I have
>tuned the D for years- this just showed up.
>---
>David Graham <dcgrpt@earthlink.net>

David-

I would check the duplexes.  The back is probably strip-muted, but I'd
press on it and the front with my finger while playing the note.  With the
back duplex, it doesn't have to be the note you're playing--can be pretty
far up the scale.  Also, plucking the offending string while the damper is
seated.  Those trichord wedges can have unequal sides.

Troubleshooting Steinways: it's not just a job; it's an adventure!

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati