Hamburg Damper Felts

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon Apr 1 16:39 MST 2002

At 11:22 AM -0600 1/4/02, John Minor wrote:
>Just finished installing a new set of damper felts on the Hamburg D here.
>I'm just not happy with the quality of the Hamburg damper felts from
>Steinway these days. Anyone else tire of fighting with these to get them
>to work? The bichords seem to be thicker, leaving the damper heads higher
>than their neighbors. Even using a piece of yarn in the trichords that
>leak through, they still work only with a great deal of fussing and
>cussing!*#@

Indeed.

>Anyone find a better supplier of damper felts?

Yamaha CF is excellent material although it is not cheap (CF felt is
not the same as 'run of the mill' Yamaha felt). The only disadvantage
is the plain felt is very thick. It is therefore a little more
difficult to get it to sit straight. Furthermore, you may need to
install new wires when using CF felt, since the heads sit a lot
higher.

Regards,
Ron O.

--