Hamburg Damper Felts

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Apr 1 11:09 MST 2002

John,

last year I installed a set of Hamburg "pre-cuts" on an NY "D."

I thought I would be clever and get a nicer quality of pre-cuts than are
offered for the NY.

The Hamburg felt is cut nice and neatly (as expected), and I think the price
was the same, however, I ran into the same problem you experienced with the
tri-chords.

Finally I ended up cutting new wedges from Renner strips, and solved the
problem.

Curious as I recall, only the flats have red backing felt, and adding this
to the wedges would in fact change damper-head height.

I left things this way to remind me "I never lose a fight, but sometimes the
victory ain't pretty!"  :>)

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of John
Minor
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 11:23 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Hamburg Damper Felts

Just finished installing a new set of damper felts on the Hamburg D here.
I'm just not happy with the quality of the Hamburg damper felts from
Steinway these days. Anyone else tire of fighting with these to get them
to work? The bichords seem to be thicker, leaving the damper heads higher
than their neighbors. Even using a piece of yarn in the trichords that
leak through, they still work only with a great deal of fussing and
cussing!*#@

Anyone find a better supplier of damper felts?

John Minor
University of Illinois