Chickering Info.

Ken Eschete k-eschete@northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:45 MDT 2001

>List,
>
>Does anyone know of someone who might be an "expert" on old Chickering grands?
>
>I was called to go look at one the other day because of an insurance
>claim for a little flood damage. The water only got up high enough
>to damage the legs and pedal lyre a little. The water was only there
>app 4-6 hrs. and the power was back on the next morning. It seems
>like everything else is OK, at least for the time being. However, I
>did caution her that there is no guarantee that no more problems
>would develop over the next several years.
>
>Anyway, what I need is an approximate pre-flood value for the insurance.
>
>Serial number is 17232 (1855 - 1860, according to Pierce).
>
>It's app. 6-1/2' long (maybe a little longer) with a fairly ornate
>case, legs and pedal lyre.
>
>It's straight strung in the bass (5 singles & 13 doubles), with only
>2 string unisons all the way through #88 and agraffes all the way to
>the top.
>
>The dampers are very small (short).
>
>The soundboard seems to be in good shape and it actually has a
>fairly decent sound for an instrument that old.
>
>One possible problem with the value of it might be previous
>rebuilding work that's been done. Did Chickerings that old have the
>leather covered hammers? This one doesn't but they were probably
>replace when the instrument was refinished, restrung, etc.
>
>The keytops have also been replaced with one-piece plastic which
>hangs over the edge too far.
>
>Another local tech has looked at it and done some book research on
>it and gave her an app. value of $55,000 to $125,000 (a pretty wide
>range) :-) with it probably in the $90,000 range. I know very little
>about instruments of this age, but that seems like a pretty high
>value to me. Especially if any historical significance has been
>affected by the previous work done on it.
>
>The same tech gave an estimate of about $22,000 to rebuild and
>refinish. Probably purposely on the high side to protect her in case
>other problems were found. It's in fairly nice shape except for the
>cracks in the legs and needing to refurbish the pedals because of
>the flood. It plays decently for an instrument that old.
>
>Any comments or referrals to someone who might know?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Avery
>Houston (Flood city, USA) :-)

Dear Avery,
  Chickering grand pianos from 1855-1860 were being produced at an
average rate of 1320 per year, placing this instrument at about 1857.
My guess is that it has a Brown Action and not a modern action.
Anyway, being a manufactured object with no special ornamentation
(not an art case), my guess is that the instrument  is worth quite a
bit less than $55,000.  They certainly are not rare.

The basic question for an appraisal is this, "How much would I have
to pay to buy another instrument like this on today's market."  In
Boston, these instruments are not hard to find, and my guess is that
a similar instrument that has been rebuilt, could be obtained for
$15,000 - $20,000.

The expert you are looking for will be in the Boston area.  I suggest
you contact David Betts at the North Bennett St. School in Boston.
Phone number is in any PTG Journal.

Sincerely,

Ken Eschete
Northwestern University

--
Kenneth Eschete
Supervisor of Keyboard Maintenance            Phone: 847/467-6970

  EMAIL: k-eschete@northwestern.edu