harpsichord: broken string

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Jan 26 08:40 MST 2001

Mark,
	You've already been given good advice and instructions. I'll just throw
in a few observations.
1) I hate those "becket holeless pins," so I have a few I have drilled a
hole through for whenever I need to replace a string on one of these.
Then take that hole-less pin and drill a hole in it.
2) These pins are tapered and have no threads. Hence, removal is a bit
different. You kind of turn the pin while applying upward pressure
(holding the T hammer at a bit of an angle and pulling upward).
Sometimes I need to put a pliers on one to pull it out. The taper also
means that it gets a bit tighter the farther in you pound it when
replacing it.
3) There are several permutations possible for making the tail (that
goes on the hitch pin). I find the simplest is a copy of a European
design used on pianos with individual hitch pins for each string: wrap
string twice around the hitch pin (initially around some dummy pin held
upright), then wind the short end around the length of the wire forming
a neat coil, maybe four to five full turns. Like the finish on bass
strings. Leave about 1/2 inch of extra wire beyond the coil, which will
bear against the hitchpin rail to keep it from unwinding. When removing
this tail from the dummy pin, you have to hold onto it to keep the two
initial wraps from turning into one.
	Ideally you should replicate whatever tail design is used on the rest
of the instrument. Looks much better.
Good luck,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico