Concert grand

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu Jan 25 23:45 MST 2001

Hi, Dave,

>At 06:42 PM 1/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>The decision has been made to purchase a Yamaha CFIIIS for our recital
>>hall.  We have two Steinway "D"s in there and one will be replaced.  Our
>>chairman was told by an unhappy dealer, that we will be one of only 5
>>music schools that have a Yamaha in their recital hall.  I told him, that
>>those kind of statistics would be very difficult to obtain, and that I
>>have serious doubts about the veracity of that statement.

Rubbish.  Tell Danny I said to put a sock in it.

If you were to draw a sufficiently tight radius, you _might_ be able to
justify such a statement.  However, within 30 - 45 minutes of where I am
sitting (Palo Alto, CA), I can immediately thing of _at least_  three
schools with both Ds and CFIII/CFIIIs at which the Yamahas are clearly the
instruments preferred by faculty, students and visiting artists.  In one
such case, there were three instruments (a NY and a Hamburg D, as well as a
CFIIIs), and the NY D was so "underused" that it was sold...something that
is not often done with a donated instrument.

>>Our Artist in Residence (a Steinway artist) liked this particular Yamaha
>>very much as did another prominent - and somewhat biased - Steinway
>>artist in New York.  On the strength of these two artists, whom I know
>>and respect, I certainly raised no objections to the Yamaha purchase.  We
>>hadn't found any other pianos that were really special.

Since we are on CAUT, I will risk flame damage to suggest that, while the
vast majority of the artists with whom I have worked over the years truly
do prefer to play a _good_ Steinway, they have (nearly universally) had so
much trouble trying to find/use these that they (and their management) are
much more willing to use the instruments of other makers.  Concert riders
now pretty consistently contain language which, in contrast to the decades
of "Steinway only", specify "Steinway, Baldwin, Yamaha, _or other suitable
instrument by arrangement_".  Thinking of some of the Ds I know of in the
area, most real pianists would prefer something "more suitable".  (But,
then, that gets back to all those subjects opened up in the Kissin
thing.)  Hmmm - as I think about this, I can think of at least two Steinway
artists who record on Yamahas (as did Glenn Gould for his last ten years, I
am told).

Frankly, I think that this opening of the market is very healthy for
everyone concerned (even S&S, although they have trouble understanding
that).  There have been, and are, some truly very fine instruments out
there with some most unlikely names.  I have a particular fondness for the
old M&H CCs and occasional Knabe concert grand that one used to
see.  Giving the barest nod to the European "Three Bs" (since they are so
well established), it has been a real pleasure to watch and work with the
improvement in the instruments produced by both Yamaha and Kawai.  These
companies are both making highly credible, first-rate concert instruments
that do not get sufficient exposure in large part specifically due to the
kinds of close-minded, reactionary thinking from dealers (and technicians)
mentioned in Dave's post.  We have, as a musical culture and profession,
lost a great deal over the years in the homogenization of piano tone -
there are so many possibilities!  Then, for me, the challenge has always
been to figure out how a specific instrument can sound and play _its_ best,
without regard to manufacture.

The important thing is that any such purchasing/rental/loan decision has to
have musical considerations as its primary base.  Simply put, does the
instrument provide an appropriate vehicle for musical performance (and
appreciation of it) in your specific venue?  Clearly, that is a very big,
uneasily answered question.  But, this is why I have come to think in terms
of transparency in assessing a musical instrument and its environment.  Is
the instrument transparent to me as a listener, a performer, a
technician?  Does it enhance or detract from the performance?  From this
perspective, to the extent that a given instrument intrudes on the
collective awareness of these folks as a factor in performance, it may well
not be the "best" instrument.  This give huge latitude for all the kinds of
consideration about which we all spend so much energy - and that is exactly
as it should be.

As dearly as I love Steinway pianos, it is all too clear that their
manufacturing and engineering simply have not kept up with the advances
made by Kawai and Yamaha.  It is an interesting commentary that Kawai truly
seems to have learned more from Steinway in the Boston experience than vice
versa.  The R series and EX-6 are easily competitive with anything else
currently in production.  Nice, even scales, easy to tune, stable as to
regulation and voicing, excellent finish work.  As an added bonus, the EX-6
even sounds like a real piano at the back of a concert hall.  What a concept.

Two "final" comments (hah!):

The first is that at least one (mostly privately funded) school I know of
has sold all of their Steinways in favor of rebuilt M&H and new
Faziolis.  (The present total is around 20 instruments, including four
concert grands, with more to come as the school expands.)

The second, even more cynical, thought came to me as I read the
announcements about the Essex line...the short version of which is that I
found myself idly wondering if these instruments were made in French Lick
on the old Cosmopolitan line...

>>Does anyone have an idea of how common CFIIISs are in music schools?  I
>>just can't believe that they are that rare.

Dave, if you open this up to CFIII/CFIIIs (and earlier), Baldwin, and a few
other names, I think that you might be surprised how many non-S&S
instruments are doing credible service on stage in various music
schools.  No question but what Ds are the number one, but I think that,
particularly as both manufacturing and, sadly, rebuilding quality has
declined - and, prices have gone so high - that more and more schools
either have or are going to consider some other brand.

Ach!  This opens so many other discussions.

I, for one, think that if you and your faculty are happy with the
instrument you have purchased, then you have probably done the right
thing.  If you have multiple 9' instruments, it would be interesting to
know, over time, how the comparative usage was/etc.

You are in an interesting market.  Danny has to be concerned with one
overriding fact:  Every time anyone sees that CFIIIs/any-other-piano are
used in preference to a D, it erodes the base of perception which keeps him
selling every L, B, and 1098 that Astoria can deliver to him.  The same
thing is true for every dealer everywhere.  Even in today's mass marketing
maelstrom (nicely alliterative, yes?), if he does not retain domination of
the concert stage, darned if someone won't just buy a Chevy someplace else
instead of a Caddy from him.  (Do you know that they used to use the same
wheel bearings and U-joints?).  Furthermore, unlike some dealers, Danny is,
I think, still an S&S/Boston-only house...until the Essex came out (see
above), if someone walked on a Steinway or Boston, he lost them altogether
- dollars out - bad.  Further, Texas dealers have another problem - with
Joel and Priscilla there in Round Rock, their instruments are under
constant, outside, hard-to-discount scrutiny...to say nothing of the
competition for sales/rebuilding dollars.

Hmmm - well, once again, more than two-cents, plain.

Keep your powder dry!

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley, 			email:	hgreeley@stanford.edu
CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer		voice:	650.725.9062
Controller's Office			fax:	650.725.8014
Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215