harpsichord: broken string

Sambell, Ted Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Thu Jan 25 19:52 MST 2001

Hi Mark!

Ted here; you do have to remove the tuning pin on a harpsichord to replace a
string, and it also helps to lift the jacks out temporarily. Just for the
affected string of course. If you stretch out the coil from the broken
string and measure it you will have a pretty good idea of the length to
allow for the new string's coil. To replace the string, put the loop on the
hitchpin and turn the pin in the fingers.using the techniques so well
described by Ed and Greg. Willard Martin sells strings ready looped like
guitar strings for his harpsichords, as does the Instrument Workshop, but
they are made of the softened wire by Malcom Rose and the breakage rate is
very high. It may well produce a fuller sound, but I have just about given
up on it, and would like to restring our two Martins with high tensile wire,
which would mean less conveniently having to loop the wire myself. I can do
this on our bass string foot looper by substituting a small diameter hook.
The Instrument Workshop sells a small hand looper which works very well too,
though we do not have one. Their address is, or was:

The Instrument Workshop
7793 Highway 66
Ashland Oregon, U.S.A.
97520-9772
503 488 4671
Fax 503 488 5846
IWCembalo@aol.com

I am intrigued by the stainless steel wire being advertized in the PTJ and
wonder if it comes in harpsichord diameters, and if anyone has had any
experience with it yet. If successful this would be a big breakthrough.

The Chinook Keyboard Centre in Calgary recently acquired a new harpsichord
from Holland by a maker named Klop. It is splendidly made and Bill Garlick
assured me that it is strung with high tensile wire. Its tone is great, so
factors other than the wire may be more important. It also has square tuning
pins, but is otherwise very much a historic type, with beautifully made wood
jacks (pear with holly tongues).

All the best, Ted Sambell