harpsichord: broken string

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Jan 25 15:12 MST 2001

<<Can someone provide me with an "idiot's guide" to installing string on a

harpsishord?  Yes, the tuning pins w/o holes.>>

You should first wash your hands, you don't want to grease the pin.   Then,
lay about 3/8" of wire along the pin with the end of the wire about halfway
down the area that the coil will be made.  This is the "straight".
    Wrap the wire around the pin so that the first wrap goes around and then
OVER the straight.  From this point on, tension must be kept on the string
via the pin.  I find it easier to hold the pin still and wrap the first two
or three wrappings around the pin.  Also, this pin will be swedged to form
the flats at the top, and this change of dimension is helpful to tightening
the coils.  After you have three or four coils wrapped neatly over the
straight,  while keeping tension on the wire,  use your thumbnail to push
everything up a little bit so that the top coils are over the beginning of
the flats. This is like the swedged part of a wrapped bass string, and will
keep the coils from slipping.
  Continue wrapping the string until you have the proper amount, so that the
inserted pin creates bearing similar to its neighbors.  You will probably use
8 inches of wire in the coils.
Good luck,
Ed Foote
(who hates doing this, but congratulates himself everytime I manage to
successfully complete one.)