changes in the modern piano

Leif Olsen leifo@image.dk
Thu Jan 18 13:29 MST 2001

Hej Rick

On 18-Jan-01, Rick Florence wrote:

> BTW, a side question of personal curiosity, anyone out there know what
> happened to all the European manufacturers during the two great wars and how
> they emerged out of such a mess?

A lot of the european manufacturers survived in England, Denmark, Suomi, Sweden, Western Germany, Eastern Germany (DDR), Chekoslovakia, Polen, France etc. etc.

In western Europe, the quality was more or less on a high level, in eastern Europe not. All had a hard time in the sixties, where good european models was at first hand (bad) copied in Japan and the south east, later with much better quality. The last danish manufacturers stopped about 1972. Quality in the last decenier was lowered.

The Finnish has survived up to recent days, the Brittish was fusioned and partly bought by Yamaha and others. A good deal of the German branches are expensive and of very fine quality.
Sorry for all I have forgotten, and all is only: in my humble opinion

Regards
--
Pianoshop Leif Olsen
D.P.I.F. Denmark