changes in the modern piano

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Thu Jan 18 10:08 MST 2001

on 1/17/01 5:29 PM, Bdshull@aol.com at Bdshull@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, Rick:
>
> Assuming the doctoral student's subject is Richard Strauss ...

Bill,

Now that I have read your post and thought more about my discussion with
Miriam (the Grad Student), I believe that you are correct in your assumption
of the composer being Richard Strauss.  I should have picked up on this
earlier as she asked about the changes in the piano up to 1950.  She only
said Strauss and my mind must have been overwhelmed by all those Viennese
waltzes.

So that changes the original question somewhat.  He Spent most of his time
in Germany.  The time period is now from the mid 1800s to the 1940s.

She has done quite a bit of reading so far and isn't sure if she'll find
anything substantial in the cause and effect of piano type/composing.  It's
only a small part of her research, but could prove interesting.  I would be
interested to know when your paper is submitted.

BTW, a side question of personal curiosity, anyone out there know what
happened to all the European manufacturers during the two great wars and how
they emerged out of such a mess?

Thanks again.

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music