changes in the modern piano

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Wed Jan 17 17:32 MST 2001

Hi, Rick:

Assuming the doctoral student's subject is Richard Strauss (odds are against
it being the Viennese waltz king), I would direct her to the 7/2000 PTJ,
especially "Johannes Brahms and His Pianos," written by George Bozarth and
our own Stephen Brady (also published in the Brahms Journal, a more important
reference for her).   Of course, neither this nor the other articles in the
PTJ specifically address the last 20 years of the 19th century, when Richard
Strauss began actively composing.  Certainly she has checked the Strauss
bio-bibliographies by now.  Strauss' connection to the piano was nearly
always orchestral:  his early piano teacher was an orchestra harpist, and by
the age of 20 he fell under Ritter's spell, and was ever to reflect the
influence Liszt and Wagner.  He did improvise on the piano at an early age,
and certainly this helped him work through his compositional ideas;  whether
the piano manufacturer itself was a factor in his ideas is hard to say.

One of the papers I wrote in my graduate musicology class last fall was on
the mid-19th-century piano.  I concentrated on the Erard.   I may submit this
paper for publication, but need to get the time to get it read by a few folks
and revised first.  The Erard was as influential in the middle 19th century
as Bechstein, Bluthner and Steinway were afterwards.

FWIW, my own speculation relating to Strauss and the piano is that the
piano's development influenced him only indirectly, if at all, and that was
to the extent the development of the piano influenced the middle-romantic
progressive movement.  It is hard to imagine Liszt without the Erard, Wagner
without Liszt, and Strauss without any of them.  Strauss' ever-present
orchestral style was evident even when his songs were written for piano; many
of those songs were also orchestrated.   And musical influences, such as the
song-accompaniment style of Schumann, a "large sense of rhythm conceived as a
series of waves of energy," (Rosen, The Romantic Generation, 110) were
probably far more influential in Strauss' compositional style than the
evolution of the piano.

Regarding the question of American manufacturers, Steinway's lead in America
- and Bechstein and Bluthner's lead on the continent - in the use of cast
iron plates and high tension scales eventually carried the day, but I am
impressed with the fact that the old-style Erard was pretty much exclusively
used by such important orchestral composers as Ravel and Debussy well past
the turn of the century.  And the interesting final 7/2000 PTJ piece by Juan
Mas Cabre, the manufacturer of Pure Sound strings, points out the differences
in strings of the present day in even the Bechsteins, Bluthners and Steinways
of the late 19th century; a more flexible wire with less inharmonicity and a
brighter sound seems to have been in use;  this may be too much nit-picking
for our doctoral candidate.  Finally, the Bluthner Patent Action and the
Viennese action used in the Bechsteins and Bosendorfers may or may not have
had any influence;  the German Steinway was a modern English/Erard-type
action from its 1880 beginning.

I think if Strauss had a piano sponsorship it would be interesting, but less
important than, say, the Baldwin/Bernstein relationship - which probably
won't get into any musicologist's biobibliography of Bernstein except as a
footnote.  By Strauss' time the bigger, "orchestral" sound of the piano was
more common, but I think that what he heard in his head was still more
important, whether or not it developed through his piano improvisations.   (I
could be wrong, and would love to hear about it - Liszt's reliance on the
Erard was part business/family, and the idea of sponsorship influencing
composition is hard to resist in the Liszt-Erard relationship;  maybe
something is there with Strauss after all....)

As for research sources, I am sure she knows by now how to use the net for
music research, and has also already perused the Strauss bio-bibliographies;
I have little more to offer than to encourage a quick reading of works like
Rosen's The Romantic Generation (Rosen's extremely informed kind of
big-picture speculation is pretty useful, even if it's not always taken too
seriously by his peers).  And I would love to hear if she comes up with
anything to do with Strauss' reliance on the piano.

If her subject is Strauss' piano works (a total of only 3 opus numbers,
including a sonata, as well as a few chamber works such as the violin sonata
and cello sonata), then I just sort of missed the boat here, but would be
interested in what she finds out.

Couldn't resist this, Rick - but now I have to take care of the "L" we
restrung last week that just got delivered to the university....!

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 1/17/01 10:20:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,