Feltmakers vs. Hammermakers

Thu Jan 11 11:11 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Birkett" <birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: January 11, 2001 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: Feltmakers vs. Hammermakers

> The opening salvo is alluding to my post about leather from a few weeks
> ago, not to what I said about felt.

-------

Not at all, Stephen, not at all. Please don't take any of this personally --
my opening salvo has nothing to do with anything you or any other single
individual has said.

While I suppose it was prompted by some recent posts on both CAUT and
PIANOTECH, this idea has been used as an excuse for the ongoing
deterioration of piano hammers for at least as long as I have been in the
business. Probably much longer.

My rants are rarely prompted by any one post or comment. They result from a
bunch of stuff that accumulates over time and is then subjected to long-term
simmering and bubbling. A good rant builds up over time and then goes boom.
Kind of like a good volcano.

I might add that I know virtually nothing about leather and/or leather
processing and am totally unqualified to comment on or pass judgment on
either.

Regards,

Del