Steinway Hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed Jan 10 20:36 MST 2001

Hi, Carol,

- rant -

I am well aware of the methods currently being taught at S&S.  I did not
like them when they were introduced, and have seen only increasing reasons
not to use them.  More traditional methods produce a greater range and
domain of dynamic and tonal palette, but require more work - and that is
the main reason for the change, not quality of end product.

The later method was adopted as S&S was rolling out their contract service
for "concert" instruments, and allowed technicians to fly in on a Friday
and leave Saturday with an instrument in "performance" condition.  On more
than one occasion, the poor sap left to take care of such an instrument has
had to reinvent the wheel to try to resurrect some semblance of tone and
control.

As to the out come in two such concert venues, please read the extensive
post I recently made.  (It is not all my writing, but is a compilation work.)

This is not to say that aspects of the method are not, from time to time,
usable, appropriate and/or the "right way".  It is, however, to say that a
great deal gets lost in the process.  From a strictly philosophical
position, I, for one, question the necessary universality of _any_ one
method; but also choose to use those which seem to me to be the most
promoting of musical flexibility and stability.

Thinking about what is and is not done at S&S these days, it is also
appropriate to bear in mind that this is a company which boasts about
taking someone "off the street" (in terms of previous technical
training/experience) and having them tune in Carnegie Hall in six
months.  The results speak for themselves.

  - end of rant -

If whatever you are doing works for you, then, by all means, do use
it.  Just be aware that there are substantive, long-since-established  and
proven methods which, while admittedly more labor intensive, might give you
significantly more flexibility in your work.

Best regards.  (No, I haven't found the Scotch yet.)

Horace