filing the Steinway hammers (was Kissin)

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed Jan 10 06:08 MST 2001

At 09:43 PM 01/09/2001 -0500, you wrote:
><< Old Steinway hammers are a dream to
>
>file as the layers were thin and came off as expected.  These layers seem to
>
>want to come off in thick layers...weird!  Got any ideas?>>
>
>Greetings,
>     The factory approach helps.  This means juicing the hell out of the
>shoulders first.  I have been up there and seen the lacquer running down and
>off the tails!
>      4 to1 lacquer and thinner, about two eye-dropper fulls on each shoulder
>at the 9:30 and 2:30 areas.  You may need more lacquer later, but this
>beginning seems to solidify the felt enough to grind the hammers into shape.
>   Otherwise,  file from the strikepoint down, THEN juice the hell out of
>them.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

I have resorted to this to file S&S hammers. A sanding fluid if you will.

The older hammers filed with ease, was that due to shellac in the hammer or
lacquer
or a better hammer making process. I bet the later.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net