filing the Steinway hammers (was Kissin)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed Jan 10 00:29 MST 2001

Hi,

The factory approach to hammer shaping and voicing has varied wildly over
the years.  One person taught one way, another taught another way, the C&A
department has used several different methods - all of these work.

While what Ed suggests will definitely work, my usual preference is to
shape first and then lacquer.  There are both physical and philosophical
reasons for this.  On the physical side, the hammer is (with reasonable
practice) easier to shape when "raw" (or nearly so).  Philosophically, one
can work at the piano, and get a sense of what the eventual sound will be
before lacquering.

There is no question but what adding the lacquer first can make certain
aspects of the shaping process easier as it makes the hammers more like a
hard-press hammer (as to shaping issues).  At the same time, I do think
that one (potentially) loses some control over the final product.

One really crucial part of any voicing process is that one cannot get out
what is not built in.  One can make it louder or softer, and, within
limits, affect timbre - but basically, it is a question of finding the
limits of what is there to begin with and learning how to work with them.

More later.

Best.

Horace