Kissin Review

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue Jan 9 18:54 MST 2001

David,

I would not start with strips.  Best to start with sandpaper files/paddles
with fairly coarse grit, and work your way down to 220, or finer.  Newer NY
hammers do not shape like anything else, with the possible exception of
Ronson.  Techniques that work very well on hard(er) pressed hammers will
chew the NY hammer up, pulling odd chunks of felt out of the body of the
hammer, and making it hard to even things out.

The general shape you are after is like what was published in the 1979 S&S
technical manual (the same pictures have been used in other editions, but
that one is the most clear as to what is wanted).  I think that basic
techniques are discussed there, as well.

Please give me a call, if you wish.

Best.

Horace

At 05:42 PM 1/9/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I have a set of new Steinway hammers I am in the midst of working with.  My
>problem is with the filing.  I had expected to square up the remove a little
>felt before juicing...I started with 220 strips and immediately the felt
>began to want to layer very roughly.  The layers seem to want to go much
>deeper than my experience.  They look awful on the few that I have
>started...I consider myself to be very good and hammer filing but this set
>of hammers is acting very strangely.  Old Steinway hammers are a dream to
>file as the layers were thin and came off as expected.  These layers seem to
>want to come off in thick layers...weird!  Got any ideas?
>David I.

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office, Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100
Stanford, CA 94305

Voice:  650.725.9062
Fax:     650.725.8014