Erard Piano Questions

Stickney, Jeff P StickneyJP@mso.umt.edu
Mon Feb 26 17:14 MST 2001

List,

I serviced a 1912 Erard grand piano today, and have a few questions for you
who have more experience with pianos of this variety than I.  First
question: Was this piano designed/scaled to be tuned to 440?  The piano is
straight strung, and has a plate and hefty structure.  It is currently at a
quarter step low, and was rebuilt in Paris in the early 80's.  So the
strings and pins are fairly new, but the pins are not as tight as I would
expect - a couple in the low bass actually won't hold pitch.  Would this
piano have originally had quite small tuning pins?   It does not look like
the pin block was replaced although the current pins seem to be 2/0 - my
Hale #3 tip (which I use on most pianos) has a quite sloppy fit, and the #2
tip (which I usually use on Shimmel's, etc.) is just right.  Maybe the
rebuilder just restrung with same size pins??  There are two cracks in the
soundboard which were previously shimmed - the poor thing went from Paris to
Oklahoma to Houston to dry Montana - in a room with a gas unit cranking out
dry heat, aargh.  I recommended they buy a humidifier.

Second question:  Although they didn't ask, would there be any special
value/interest in this piano?  The action has a wooden frame, the shanks are
attached to individual brass flanges, and the back checks are metal and come
up through the forked end of the shank just before it attaches to the
hammer.  The back checks catch on leather which is wrapped around the forked
opening opposite the hammer (a picture is worth how many words??).  The
dampers rest underneath the strings and are pulled *down* by some spoons
which protrude from the back of the action.  Altogether unlike anything I've
ever seen!  Although it required some effort to get everything working to be
able to tune it to itself at a quarter step low, it actually has potential
to be a decent instrument.  Any perspective or experience you can share
about this piano would be helpful.  Thanks.