Digital Pianos

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat Feb 24 05:05 MST 2001

Hi Mitch et al,

Another perspective comes from my own experience with these instruments.

They have a very distinct life span.

If the unit is being used heavily (which you could assume would be the case
in an institution) the keyboard assembly will begin to present problems in
around 4-5 years.

I bought a 2nd hand Yamaha digital some years back that had been over-worked
as a performance and practice instrument for a jazz musician. It was "a mere
3 years old" and within 12 months I had sections of the keyboard
disappearing from time to time, the keys felt as though they needed
rebushing - they felt very sloppy and imprecise. Fortunately I didn't pay
much for it! The repair agent said he'd seen others like this in high use
situations.

Weighing up unit cost, lifespan, repairability/parts availability
(particularly over a period of time) and resale value the acoustic remains
very attractive.