caut-digest V2001 #30

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:08 MST 2001

The one thing that comes to my mind is that the keyboards we were using 15
years ago are sooooo obsolete today that you probably couldn't get them
repaired even if you could afford to.  We have no idea what is on the
horizon for digital keyboards.  What's the next technology going to be?

Acoustic pianos on the other hand.....

>Dan Reed
>
>PS  Kind of like comparing the differences between electric and acoustic
>guitars...

Except there is no electric guitar which has ever been made (at least in
the last 50 years) which is obsolete today.  Maybe not the newest thing,
but check out Ebay for the resale value of a 1960 Strat.

Now check the value of a 2000 keyboard with all the bells and whistles....

Now, a 1950's Steinway grand.

That's my take.

Jeff

>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:00:41 -0500
>From: "Mitch Staples" <staples.13@osu.edu>
>Subject: electronic pianos
>

>This afternoon I was asked by the director of the school of music what I =
>thought of the idea of having=20
>electronic pianos in the classrooms rather than acoustic.  They figure =
>that this way they could use=20
>some of the mounds of money slated for technology i. e. computers to buy =
>pianos.  My reply was quite=20
>predictably that I thought it was a bad idea. =20
>
>I would like some input:
>
>1.  Does anyone have experience with electronic pianos in classrooms?  =
>Are they working out?
>
>2.  I would like to hear some opinions.  What do you see as the pros and =
>cons?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Mitch Staples
>Ohio State University

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208 (We've got 3 interstates here)
(803)-777-4392 (phone)