storage shed help

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Sun Feb 18 13:11 MST 2001

Prior to joining the list, Stan Kroeker,RPT mentioned someone (on CAUT) had
devised bumpers for protecting pianos moved through doorways. I was
interested, as our doorways leave no more than an inch to spare, and the
piano lids show it.

What I came up with initially were bumpers that deliberately contacted the
case (below the lid-line)and held the lid sufficiently well-away from the
door jambs. The idea (similar to the way ferries dock, contact is a given)
is probably belongs to someone on this list, and is great, especially if you
install rare-earth magnets in the blocks to hold them in place.(fire-rated
metal jambs)

The problem is of course to have people use them, return them, etc. What I
am considering now, is to have rigid hose of a diameter perhaps 1/2" greater
than the lid overhang, sewn into the piano covers, below the lid. We're
finding it easier to keep covers on the pianos, than control when and where
they're moved. Again the idea of presumed contact; they can let the piano
cover rub against the door jamb all the way through, but the lid well never
get closer than 1/2".

Ideaa always work flawlessly inside one's own head,.. anyone have some
experience or cautions with this idea?

much thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University