storage shed help

Alan Crane crane@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Fri Feb 16 17:49 MST 2001

Hi Sheffey!

Welcome aboard!

About 15 years ago, I rebuilt/refinished a S&S-B for the high school in a
small out-of-the-way town here in Kansas.  I sold them on a back-stage
garage for it and got the young architect across the street to design one
for them.  Knowing the particulars of the situation, he designed it with
materials readily available in the local hardware store and lumber yard
_and_ so that construction could be easily carried out by the school system
maintenance personnel.

It was flat-topped and (as it sat against a wall above which a scene
storage balcony was located) it was stressed for prop/scenery storage and
theatre dept traffic on top of it!   It was insulated and weather-stripped
to seal it fairly tightly.

When I saw the completed structure, I was extremely pleased.
I installed a double Dampchaser system on the inner walls of the garage
itself and mounted the low-water warning light through a hole in the door,
making it visible to passers-by.
The doors were on the long side so the piano slid in/out sideways
(straight-side toward the rear of the garage).

Unfortunately, I have not seen the piano since the delivery and
installation was completed, so can not comment on their experience actually
using it over the years.   :(

If it would be helpful, I'd be glad to contact the architect to find out
his fee for modifying the plans for a D.

Either way, I'd be interested in what you finally come up with, and how it
performs for you over time.

At 09:27 PM 2/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>      I'm Sheffey Gregory, now technician for a university concert
> grand.  I don't feel that really makes me a C.A.U.T. candidate, but I
> believe ya'll have the information that would help me out.  The professor
> in charge of the piano hopes to have a off-stage storage shed built for the
>grand.  I have some ideas, but would really appreciate input from those
>who have done this  before.

Regards,

Alan Crane, RPT
School of Music