storage shed help

Sheffey Gregory sheffey@surfbest.net
Fri Feb 16 11:16 MST 2001

     I'm Sheffey Gregory, now technician for a university concert grand. =
 I don't feel that really makes me a C.A.U.T. candidate, but I believe =
ya'll have the information that would help me out.  The professor in =
charge of the piano hopes to have a off-stage storage shed built for the
grand.  I have some ideas, but would really appreciate input from those =
who have done this  before.=20
     Here's what I know:=20
the piano is moved by students, normally under supervision.
The shed will be constructed by the university maintenance staff.
The piano is a Steinway D
     Here's what I've suggested:
construct the shed with at least 3/4" plywood, with a sloped roof -- to =
discourage the theatre staff from using it for furniture storage.
Put foam insulation board on the inside to 1) protect the piano 2) =
retain heat.
Have carpeted bumpers on the edge of the doorway.=20
     I am planning on put a complete Dampp-Chaser system in, and am =
considering setting up the wiring so there is an AC outlet right at the =
door of the shed and a short extension cord from the piano.  I'm a =
little concerned about people forgetting to plug & unplug it  & about =
getting the buckets refilled in a timely manner.(there is a paid stage =
manager on staff who might get that duty.)=20
     What have I forgotten?  Which part is just not realistic? What do =
you suggest?=20
Thanks in advance for all your comments & suggestions.
Sheffey Gregory
Associate
Chapter 301