psycho-acousti-what?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Feb 16 09:01 MST 2001

Thanks Jim,
I've levelled strings in some verticals with agraffes (Petrof, etc.) in the
tenor. Any suggestions on how to block the hammer and pluck strings in the
treble?

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of harvey
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 2:33 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: psycho-acousti-what?

On 13 Feb 2001, at 14:51, Mark Cramer wrote:

> A year ago, a client told me she had several notes on her (Baldwin)
console
> that physically hurt her ear when she played them.
[liberal cutting]

Mark,
I may be way off base on this, but I also had a client with the same
complaint in the same area. Only difference was that it was on a
new Baldwin studio, not a console.

The client was delighted at the results. (I've personally yet to walk
away from a Baldwin with a warm fuzzy feeling).

The "fix" was doing one or both of the following to the offending
notes:

1. Torch hammershank and respace. The hammer wasn't hitting
the string squarely. Results are the goal; cosmetics are last in list
of priorities.

- Leveled strings. Same idea as above, and once discovered it was
quite obvious. I don't normally bother with this type of thing on
verticals.

In either case, for lack of a better explanation, and since rescaling
was out of the question, I'm calling this a phasing problem that
revealed itself when certain intervals were played.

Jim Harvey
[I just fix the stuff, I don't build it]

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate