Baldwin regulation

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 6 00:29 MST 2001

Hi Greg,
              Usually glueing one strip of veneer to the top of the rail in
the dag contact areas, does the trick. Just sand to fit to the dag. ( I
prefer maple veneer.)
Some pianos that have dag screws that have a worn a "pothole" on the frame,
I fill with epoxy and sand flush.
The unicorda pedal can some times cause the action to skew, so, some
special attention to the pedal arm to frame fit, and the condition of what
ever Clamp and guide system that is in the cheek blocks. All this before
seriously starting to bed the rails.
Raise all glide bolts.
Bed the rear rail first.
Front rail second.
Then the balance rail.
 If there is "pot holes" where the BR glides, contact the bed I fill them,
and block sand them flush.
There can be perfect bedding when the unicorda is off, but the frame lifts
the action as the glides slide up the side of the holes, when the pedal is
engaged. This can affect the after touch, as well as cause some frame noise.
Sorry about the term "pot hole" but it seems to fit.  Um!!!!   "keybed
potholes" New term for the lexicon.
Some notes from a frame bedding fanatic. I hope it makes some kind of sense.
Roger