Maintenance Schedule

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Mon Feb 5 14:20 MST 2001

Here is what Peter Serkin says about tuning frequency in his 1990 video, "The
Anatomy of a Piano--How Your Grand Piano Works":

A freshly tuned piano has a sparkle and clarity of sound that begins to
deteriorate even after a few hours…that is why a performance piano should be
tuned immediately before each performance or recording session.

For most of us our pianos should be tuned at least twice a year…. Six months
is a long time to expect a piano to stay in tune, so those of you with more
sensitive ears will want to have it tuned more often [such as] four times a
year, with each change of season….  Professional players or pianos with heavy
use will require more frequent tunings, perhaps every 6 or 8 weeks.

John Baird
Millikin University
Decatur, Illinois