Baldwin regulation

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:06 MST 2001

Well,

When we got the piano it came off the truck in a box.  It got set up here then it's been left to its own devices.  It came directly from the Arkansas factory.  I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, except the variation is SO extreme, and the others that came at the same time - same factory and truck - have  not varied THAT much.  I guess I'll just regulate it and shut up.

Thanks for your note.

dave

On 2/5/01 at 10:46 AM Avery Todd wrote:

> [...]
>weeks later when I went back, everything had drastically changed and I had
>to do a lot of it all over again. :-(   Lesson learned. :-)
>
>All that to ask this. Is there a big difference in climate now and where
>the piano was previously located?
>
>Good luck and let us know what happens.
>
>Avery
>

>>A few days ago there was a question about a new Baldwin that suddenly had
>>the regulation go south.  (Was that you Kent?)  I have the same thing
>>here.  A Baldwin SF10 that was delivered here in July, now the dip is VERY
>>shallow, checking way off, front rail is warped up off the bed, but not
>>enough to have caused the tremendous lack of dip.  What's happening???
>>
>>I've got to get this thing playing, but I hate to do major regulation on
>>it if something is going to suddenly change again soon.
>>
>>HELP!
>>
>>dave
>>

>>David M. Porritt
>><mailto:dporritt@swbell.net>dporritt@swbell.net
>>Meadows School of the Arts
>>Southern Methodist University
>>Dallas, TX 75275
>>

>Dave,
>

>I've had the same type of problems with the new pianos I prep at the
>dealership in Beaumont. My particular problem though, I'm pretty sure,
>is climate related. This problem has only occurred when I do the prep
>work at the college (loaner program) then go over them again right
>after they come back to the store. Vice-versa also applies. When I do
>the work at the store, then it goes to the college, the regulation
>changes. That even happened on a new Yamaha 7' that they bought for
>their recital hall.
>

>The problem here is that both of the universities have a chilled air
>air-conditioning system and it's plenty cool BUT there's no real
>humidity control. The store on the other hand, has a normal type of
>system that sort of controls the humidity, as in a home. So, when it
>goes from one to the other, all kinds of changes usually happen.
>

>Last year, I did an L right after it came back into the store.
>Two-three weeks later when I went back, everything had drastically
>changed and I had to do a lot of it all over again. :-(   Lesson
>learned. :-)
>

>All that to ask this. Is there a big difference in climate now and
>where the piano was previously located?
>

>Good luck and let us know what happens.
>

>Avery
>

><excerpt>A few days ago there was a question about a new Baldwin that
>suddenly had the regulation go south.  (Was that you Kent?)  I have the
>same thing here.  A Baldwin SF10 that was delivered here in July, now
>the dip is VERY shallow, checking way off, front rail is warped up off
>the bed, but not enough to have caused the tremendous lack of dip.
>What's happening???
>

>I've got to get this thing playing, but I hate to do major regulation
>on it if something is going to suddenly change again soon.

David M. Porritt