Baldwin regulation

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon Feb 5 08:48 MST 2001

Dave,

I've had the same type of problems with the new pianos I prep at the
dealership in Beaumont. My particular problem though, I'm pretty sure, is
climate related. This problem has only occurred when I do the prep work at
the college (loaner program) then go over them again right after they come
back to the store. Vice-versa also applies. When I do the work at the
store, then it goes to the college, the regulation changes. That even
happened on a new Yamaha 7' that they bought for their recital hall.

The problem here is that both of the universities have a chilled air
air-conditioning system and it's plenty cool BUT there's no real humidity
control. The store on the other hand, has a normal type of system that sort
of controls the humidity, as in a home. So, when it goes from one to the
other, all kinds of changes usually happen.

Last year, I did an L right after it came back into the store. Two-three
weeks later when I went back, everything had drastically changed and I had
to do a lot of it all over again. :-(   Lesson learned. :-)

All that to ask this. Is there a big difference in climate now and where
the piano was previously located?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Avery

>A few days ago there was a question about a new Baldwin that suddenly had
>the regulation go south.  (Was that you Kent?)  I have the same thing
>here.  A Baldwin SF10 that was delivered here in July, now the dip is VERY
>shallow, checking way off, front rail is warped up off the bed, but not
>enough to have caused the tremendous lack of dip.  What's happening???
>
>I've got to get this thing playing, but I hate to do major regulation on
>it if something is going to suddenly change again soon.
>
>HELP!
>
>dave
>

>David M. Porritt
><mailto:dporritt@swbell.net>dporritt@swbell.net