Accidental Stupidity

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri Feb 2 13:37 MST 2001

At 12:40 PM 02/02/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Avery Todd wrote:
> >
> > List,
> >
> > Anyone ever break off a hammer while sliding the action in and out? -----
> > The unusual aspect is that it isn't # 1 or #88
> > as usual, but E2. Right at the tenor break, bass side! How in the
> > #$%^&&** did I manage to break off "that" hammer? :-(
> >
>Avery,
>         I'd guess it hit the plate horn, that the keyboard was not quite
>aligned while being slid in. I did that once, myself, a few years back.
>There are a few pianos that are really sticklers about needing the
>keyboard/action to be pushed in perfectly straight - while the return
>spring does its damnedest to make sure it isn't.
>         Condolences.
>Fred

Place a strip of a brightly colored sticker on the front of the bracket as
a reminder to exercise caution.

I had one grand with two horns, tenor and first treble breaks, try breaking
two shanks at once :{

Once the flags were installed, the shanks were spared.  I should have
weakened the return spring as well.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.