bars.

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri Feb 2 09:03 MST 2001

Fred, Roger, Ed, et al,

I think the engineering issues may be one thing, but my experience with Ds
is that this strut, whether by design or accident, comes (in many cases) to
have a fair amount of compression.  I do not think I have ever found one
under tension, if by that, we mean that, on removing one screw there is a
noticeable/perceptible movement of the plate.

In terms of tuning stability, my main experience with pianos with struts
removed has been at the Greek Theater and Universal Amphitheater in LA.  In
both of those places, the house instruments were as stable as can be
expected (espcially in the days when Universal was essentially an outdoor
platform)...until someone wanted to use a Countryman pickup, which requires
removing the strut.  Then, forget it.

Fred, thanks for the names of those pieces...sigh, the memory is the first
thing to go...but, I really do agree with your statements on this.  I know
that Crumb composed for the L, and that the instructions in the scores are
for that model.  It is a constant battle with performers, who always seem
to want to use the biggest, newest, etc. instruments.  This is another tip
of the lack-of-substantive-knowledge-of-their-instrument iceberg with which
we all deal.

Best and Happy Friday!

Horace